It was annoying but you can root your LG G3 running Lollipop. I confirm it works for the T-Mobile American phone but the comments in the source confirm it works for almost any LG phone.
I followed the same set of instructions on highonandroid.com and on reddit.com/r/LGG3. They really are the same set of instructions but I preferred highonandroid.com because of the accompanying video.
Some issues though:
- highonandroid.com – I think you need to have SuperSU installed. The reddit.com/r/LGG3 post has this as their first step.
- But if you already had SuperSU installed before upgrading to Lollipop, uninstall it and then reinstall it. This will get you to the Lollipop version.
- Encrypted devices will fail after the Send_Command step. You need to decrypt your device first. There will be output if the step works. No output means it failed.
- After running the long command in step 11, you should see “inflate” output shown in their picture.
- Step 11 on highonandroid.com is one line. Your browser might make it two lines but it is one line:
sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox